In today’s age, consumer’s behavior is changing like the fast and furious time. Every consumer is a digital content consumer, be it for shopping or listening to music or booking movie tickets, etc. According to Mary Meeker, a partner at venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, mobile internet usage, in general, has gone up by 23% as compared to general internet usage which just 8%. Further, she has pointed out in her annual ‘State of the Internet’ that the mobile ad industry as a whole has grown 34% year over year, while desktop digital advertising only grew 11%. These statistics clearly say that there is an apparent shift in the way how digital channels are being utilized and the importance of using responsive email templates design which are mobile optimized.
This, in turn, means that brands should adapt and evolve their way of reaching the consumers through every possible digital marketing channel and choose the best email marketing tool. Experts believe that marketers in the present world are living in a consumer driven market, and buyers trends are the voice that will tell the brands to do business in a way so that they can reach their customers across every possible channels and device.
Mobile Marketing- a new marketing channel to reach the customers
Importance of Email Newsletter
A newsletter is a cost-effective method through which a person can build a relationship and maintain the same with his customers. In 2013 B2B Content Marketing Benchmark, Budgets and Trends study, the Content Marketing Institute found that 78% of respondents used newsletters.
1. Awareness: Newsletter content builds a broader picture of the products and services that a company can offer and to further encourage your customers to add a link which takes them to your business’s website.
2. Expertise: An Email Newsletter has a unique feature by which they can demonstrate your expertise and build confidence in your company as a potential supplier. PR 20/20 says that newsletter contents that give complete information to the consumers about their products and services, and helps to establish a company as an industry leader.
3. Promotion: Newsletters can be widely used to promote products and services or launch of new products as well. Also, including information related to special offers helps in the reinforcement of your advertisement and promotional campaign. Running special offers exclusively for the readers always enhances the importance of the newsletter.
4. Contact: Email newsletters will always help you to maintain a healthy relationship with your customers. Issuing email newsletters at regular intervals- weekly, monthly or quarterly will keep up the contact with your customers between purchase or sales calls. If a customer buys your products infrequently, email newsletters will always help you in building a healthy relationship between the purchases, before the next sale opportunity.
5. Coverage: An email newsletter helps you to increase the coverage of your target segment, by placing information about the newsletter on your website. This, in turn, will allow capturing contact details of new prospects by asking them to subscribe to your website. It is a low-cost method of communication, thereby leaving more money in your pocket for advertising or other promotional activities.
“As you’ve noticed, people don’t want to be sold. What people do want is news and information about the things they care about.” — Larry Weber
Why Email Newsletters should be Mobile Optimized?
People in the present world are increasingly checking emails and reading blogs on their mobile phone devices. As per Gartner survey, 74% of smartphone users check emails on their smartphone. Now this figure is pretty significant because if your email newsletters does not have a perfect email newsletter format and are not mobile optimized, you could miss out opt-in up to three-quarters of your potential customers. Therefore, your emails must be easily readable on mobile devices if you are looking forward to improving your conversion and click through rate. It should be optimized in such a way so that your users do not end up deleting or unsubscribing from your email newsletter.
Optimizing your email newsletter leaves you with a lot of room to improve your marketing strategy. If you optimize your responsive email templates for mobile, you will be having the opportunity of stealing customers from your competitors. The chances are high that your competitors might not be using responsive email template design to optimize email newsletter for mobiles.
Equinux has found out that under 12% of email marketing campaigns make use of a responsive UI optimized for mobile devices.
Therefore, every business should use responsive email template design layout for email newsletter in today’s world of digital marketing as it is the most efficient way to make your email opt-ins and email marketing mobile friendly.
Tips and Tricks to Optimize Your Email Newsletter for Mobile
Given below are a few tips and tricks which if you follow while optimizing your email newsletter for mobile devices, will yield the maximum result leading to a successful implementation of marketing strategy.
Mobile Email Newsletter Design
- Font Size and Type: Fonts should be set larger for mobile devices than the traditional emails or web fonts. The body copy font size should be at least 14px and the headlines should be at least 18px-22px. As for the font type, if you are using a font which you like to use, but if your subscriber doesn’t have that font available on his device, he will not be able to see email content and will immediately delete it. Therefore, the safe web fonts that a person can use are Arial/Helvetica, Courier/Courier New, Georgia, Times/Times New Roman, Verdana, Tahoma and Trebuchet MS.
- Email and Device Screen Width: The recommended width ranges from 320px to 500px wide. However, do not forget to test this on an iPhone and some other smartphones to see how they appear when received.
- Images: Even in today’s digital world, everyone is not lucky enough to have a super internet connection, especially if the recipient is on 3G. So for images to load quickly, make sure that image file size is as small as possible to avoid any delay in loading. Make sure you have compressed your jpg images properly.
- Layout: A single column layout is best for reading on mobile devices as it allows more flexibility for varying screen sizes. Moreover, the reader will not have to scroll left or right to read or view the full email.
- Finger Size: When it comes to mobile email design, the fingers become the mouse which is very significant. You have to take this point into consideration. The screen size of mobile devices is considerably smaller than the desktop screen size. Therefore, you have to make sure any button, any hyperlinks are not too close each other and increase than in size to give your design some breathing space and of course room for fat fingers.
- Subject Line: As always recommended, keep your email subject line clear, crisp and concise, ideally of 50 characters or less.
- Email Pre-header: After email subject line, email pre-header is immediately vision in mobile devices; make sure you add proper pre-header to your email design.
Mobile Email Templates
There are two common types of templates:
- Scalable: A scalable email template layout is readable and clickable no matter what size it is being read on. There is only one HTML file of email scales, which fits on both desktops and mobile devices.
- Responsive: Responsive email design uses CSS3 media queries to render two different layouts depending on the size of the screen the email is being opened on. The unique feature of this media is that it can adjust the layout, content and text size of an email depending on the screen size. In addition to this, images can be swapped out or completely disabled, images and buttons can be resized and colors can be changed.
Why is it Important to Make Responsive Email Templates?
It is crucial to make your company newsletter responsive, and you have not started walking down that path, it is high time that you commit yourself to this activity. According to email Analytics Company Litmus, the percentage of email opened on mobile devices has jumped from 8% in 2011 to 53% in 2014. That is a massive 500% increase.
Yet according to ExactTarget, 42% marketers rarely or never use responsive email design. This is a huge loss for a company as they happen to miss out on the chances of reaching out to over half of their potential subscribers.
In 2015, State of Marketing Survey came up with the statistics as given out by the marketers that email was critical to the success of their business.
- 20% said that it directly impacted upon the success of their business
- 60% said it is a critical enabler of their products and service
- 20% said their primary revenue source is directly linked to business.
So, the above statistics clearly draws the picture which depicts how email has become important in the world of business. Not only this, optimizing email newsletter for mobile and making them responsive has also taken an important place in the world of business and marketing.
According to 2015 State of Marketing report, it is mobile opt-in that is currently on the top of the list. It is the most effective type of campaign, where 66% marketers said that newsletters were very effective, and 76% said the same for mobile opt-ins. Mobile opt-ins allow business to capture not only email address but mobile numbers as well. This gives the business a tremendous opportunity to expand of a crowded inbox via text or phone.
Making email newsletter responsive on mobile devices is also very important. It has always been in demand. Almost 68% of marketers are aware of the fact that having a responsive email templates design for their emails and landing pages is very important. However, many marketers are still struggling in using a responsive design for their email newsletter.
- Only 19% of marketers always use responsive email templates design.
- 29% often use it.
- 20% sometimes use it.
- 12% rarely use it.
In terms of email landing pages, the numbers are surprisingly similar:
- 18% of marketers always use responsive email landing page design
- 28% often use it
- 19% sometimes use it
- 13% rarely use.
Using responsive email templates for email newsletter makes it easy for the viewer to go through the mail without any difficulty. It will instantly attract the viewer’s attention as your email newsletter will be readable on his mobile device and increase email newsletter subscription, thereby lowering the chances whereby your subscriber might delete the mail. We can illustrate this point with an example.
In the year 2013, a shoe retailer Crocs made a shift from traditional desktop style email to a responsive design. First, they tested the static desktop version of their email against the static version of their mobile design and responsive email templates design. All the three designs experienced the similar clicks and open rate. However, the responsive design was slightly more effective and resulted in higher revenue. The static mobile design was worst in its performance.
Then they again went ahead with another test, where they sent a responsive design to half of their subscribers and static design to the other half. In this test, they did not include any discount which was offered in the earlier analysis, around 70%. However, they experience even more significant results.
The responsive email template design received a 7.66% increase in Click To Open Rate(CTR). This is an almost 90% increase in mobile read rate and 15.63% increase in iPhone read rate.
Thus, we can boldly say that responsive email template design works in improving your business.
EasySendy Drip – Delivers mobile responsive email templates
EasySendy is an online email marketing platform that has different plans like EasySendy Pro, EasySendy Drip, and EasySendy Social for various business needs. Most businesses opt for EasySendy Drip plan because it has:
- Responsive email templates and vast email template library
- Optimized web popup forms which can be embedded anywhere in the website
- Facebook Messenger lead nurturing through EasySendy Social
- Automated email campaigns; and more
EasySendy Drip lets you send targeted email campaigns to your contacts. The embeddable web popup forms help in capturing subscribers that are automatically added to the contact database. These popups are ready-to-use and can be customized with the easy drag and drop editor. Since all these popups are highly responsive, you can easily capture mobile subscribers seamlessly, making your segments more refined. Additionally, you can add social subscribe buttons which adds to lead information in your database.
EasySendy supports mobile responsive email template which allow the readers or the viewers to go through the mail without any difficulty or disturbance. Mobile responsive email templates layout allows the email to adjust itself on any mobile device irrespective of the size of the screen by default.
You can create drip sequences for your mobile only users in EasySendy Drip. The campaign builder is easy to use. You can drag and drop various conditions, action triggers, and decisions to kickstart the email sequences. Add to this, you get detailed analytics to review each of your campaigns from time to time.
All the email delivery servers which are integrated with EasySendy also work with responsive email templates, through which you can send newsletters to your subscribers which have been optimized for mobile as well.
Under Campaign Stats option, you can see the campaign reports which will show on which mobile devices the email has been opened. This, in turn, will allow you to deal with issues leading to a less open rate of newsletters and taking necessary steps for the same.
Finally, we can put down the conclusion whereby we can say that using a responsive email templates or mobile-friendly email design templates for your email is a very important part of your marketing strategy. If you want to see your business to grow and climb the stairs of success, this is something you must start for your business development.
However, it is just the first step in meeting the needs of your mobile subscribers. Having a mobile-friendly email marketing strategy in mind is also a critical component of any mobile marketing initiative as well as for all the mobile friendly website.
[su_button url=”https://easysendy.com/features/email-drip/” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#2B8DD6″ size=”7″ center=”yes” radius=”5″]Check EasySendy Drip Features[/su_button]