Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) is a cost-effective cloud based email service built on the reliable and scalable infrastructure that is developed by Amazon.com. Amazon SES has a range of sophisticated features which makes it an ideal solution as an email marketing solution. Moreover, with this solution, you only pay for what you use.
Amazon web services (AWS) is a business unit within Amazon.com which was officially launched in 2006. It provides online services (web services) for other web-sites and client-side applications on a cloud computing platform offered by its parent organization, Amazon.com. All these services are billed based on the usage of the service.
Important features of Amazon SES are as described below:
- High Deliverability by the use of better content filtering technologies, complaint feedback loops with major ISPs, authentication mechanisms like Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) and Sender Policy Framework (SPF)
- Multiple cloud based Email-Sending Interfaces like Amazon SES console, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) and Amazon SES API
- Availability of better Statistics regarding your sending activity like successful delivery attempts, rejected messages, bounces and complaints on a real-time basis via a single API call or by using the Amazon SES console
- Better notification mechanisms to forward you bounce, complaint, and delivery notifications through Amazon Simple Notification Service (Amazon SNS) or through email (only for bounce and complaint)
- Amazon SES Mailbox Simulator can be used to test the various email-sending scenarios like a successful acceptance, a hard bounce, a complaint, an out-of-office auto response, system’s maximum throughput, etc without affecting your sending quota or your bounce and complaint metrics.
Email sending capacity:
The sending limit for Amazon SES is based on the recipient rather than the number of emails and is calculated on an ongoing basis. The “sending quota” is the maximum number of emails that you can send in a day while the “maximum send rate” is the maximum number of emails that the Amazon SES will accept from your account per second. For new users, the sending quota is 200 email per day and maximum send rate of 1 email per second. This can be increased on request and can be checked at any point of time in the Amazon SES Console. These two limits will keep on changing based on the quality of your sent emails. Moreover, the maximum size limit for an email is up to 10 MB, including any attachments that are considered a part of the email message.
Amazon SES Price structure
The billing of the service is as per the use basis. Moreover, there is no initial setup or minimum cost. If you are an existing EC2 user, you can start with Amazon SES for free. You can send 62,000 emails and receive 1,000 emails per month for free. But data transfer, attachments and mail chunk will be billed. New AWS users, eligible for the AWS free usage tier, get initial 15 GB of data transfer free. Also, they get 1 GB of data transfer free every month. Outgoing emails are changed at $0.10 per 1,000 emails.
Emails sent to Amazon SES Mailbox Simulator, sent to regular recipients and received are billed separately. Sent attachments are billed at $0.12 per GB while an email chunk (every 256 KB of email) are billed at $0.09 per 1,000 complete chunks.