You are familiar with the fact that building awareness for your business is crucial. Email marketing has proved to be one of the most efficient channels that have helped numerous business people in this quest. However, if you’re thinking how email marketing can boost your brand name, how do you stand out and get the attention of your customers, thereby generating new opportunities for your brand? In this blog, we will talk about top 11 email marketing metrics that you should follow while implementing best email marketing practices for your business.
How email marketing helps business in the online brand building?
Ask for permission
Growing an email list can be a tedious and a time taking job. However, experts’ advice to collect email address the right way rather than resorting to any shortcut. According to Bahar Sadaat, client relation, and marketing manager at Davidson & Co. they are careful only to add people to their list whom they have met and have an existing business relationship. She further explains that when you let people know about your company, what they will be receiving including information about important events and industry news. Peoples are always more willing to sign up. Asking for permission will always receive an overwhelming reaction from the customer’s side. They would be happy to notice that your company website is not forcing them to sign up to your email list but giving them the option to explore the website as per their needs.This is one of the basic email marketing tips to be followed.
Your audience should be the priority
Asking permission will lead people to sign up to your company website. However, your job does not end here. Your subscribers should be at the top of the list of priority. It is now your responsibility to provide your customer with something that will prove to be valuable for them. Experts say that with an average 50% open rate, one of the best ways to provide value is to start with your audience and understand what they are most interested in receiving. You should always provide your audience with something that would be relevant and promote engagement.
Share your knowledge
When you’re implementing email marketing channel to your business, you should go ahead and share your knowledge with your customers. The open rate will impeccably increase when you shift your focus in providing content that will be interesting for your subscribers. This is the most important step towards email marketing success. The next step would be to understand what type of content will lead people to take an additional step.
Maintain your consistency
When we are talking about consistency, we are not only focusing on the frequency at which you communicate with your customers but also maintaining consistency in the feel and the look of the emails that you send to your customers. An email template makes it all the easier to customize your emails and create a professional look. You should put a lot of thought into designing your email before sending them out to your customers as they are the only thing that will attract your customer’s attention and grow your brand name.
Email Marketing Efficiency
You know what results in email marketing can bring to your business and how it can make your brand name known to others. In this section, we will site top three companies who have adapted the implementation of email marketing strategy thereby creating for them a success story.
- Canva: Less is more for this company. They believe in simplicity and that what has struck the chord of email marketing strategy for this company. Canva keeps their subscribers updated with new email designs, which they come up with time to time. Each of the new designs gives a brief description, shows a preview and then encourages the readers to try it themselves.
- Dropbox: You might think that it would be hard to love an email from a company whose products you have not been using. However, Dropbox has found a way that will bring back the customers to the company. Their “comeback us” email is cute and funny which contains a pair of whimsical cartoons. Also, they have made it a point to keep their email short and sweet which is a strong online email marketing strategy. They only emphasize on the fact that they don’t want to intrude but remind the recipient that they exist and how they could be helpful to them.
- Drybar: Email wise Drybar takes the cake. They are the superb at designing their email which surprisingly the simplest of all. Their emails are super easy to scan, making it easier for the readers to understand what it is all about. Their emails are simple but smart which speaks about their brand loud. Their emails only flash what they want to say, nothing more than that. So hats off to Drybar, for using designs to communicate better with their customers.
11 Email Marketing Metrics that every marketing person should follow
Once you have decided to take up email marketing channel for your business, there are key numbers that you should be watching. Given below are the list of 11 email marketing metrics that every business owner must follow.
1. Open Rate
One of the top email marketing metrics that you should measure is your open rate. It simply tells you the number of times your email has been opened. There are few things you can learn from your email open rate.
- Which are the headlines that will compel your subscribers to open your email?
- Which are the days on which your emails are opened the most?
- What percentage of your email list on an average is responsive to your messaging?
2. Click Rate
Another email marketing metrics that will be even more important than your open rate is the click rate of your emails. This number will tell you that your customer has not only opened the email but has also clicked the link that was provided in that email to visit your website to see the new products. Businesses build their email list to increase the flow of revenue to their business. If your readers are not going to your website from your email, then you better sit down with the homework which will boost your email marketing conversion rates.
3. Hard Bounces
Hard bounces are the serious problem, and if you ignore them, you might fall in trouble. Hard bounces take place when you’ve sent an email to such an address that does not exist anymore. Therefore, you should remove people from your list after every bounce. Some email service providers do these themselves, but you should do this by yourself rather than sitting back and relax. The penalty for not removing bounces is mostly a reduce in delivery rate by 10 to 20%, which not very healthy for your company.
4. Soft Bounces
Soft bounces occur when sending an email to an inbox which is already full. If the subscriber deletes few messages from his/her inbox, then your message will land in his/her inbox. Soft bounces are not a matter of great concern, unlike the hard bounces. However, pay attention if your list is creating 2 or 3% of soft bounces regularly. It is a sign for a little bit of list hygiene. Follow the blog post to know more about email bounce- Email Bounce Management: Soft Bounces vs. Hard Bounces
5. Spam Percentage
Some email marketing providers will give your email a spam score based on the number of links you provide in an email. This will trigger words that will appear throughout the mail. HubSpot once made a great list of keywords to avoid, especially in the subject line of your email; or else your email might be lost in your subscribers’ spam filters. You can also go through this blog post to reduce spam- How to Avoid the SPAM Folder in 10 Easy Steps
6. Churn Rate
Most of the marketers are not aware of this rate. Churn rate is the rate which measures the growth of your email list after the unsubscriptions, complaints, and hard bounces are taken into account. Therefore, this is an important measurement. An average churn rate is about 25% every year, which not considered being a very good analysis. This means that most marketers will have to add 25% to their list every year to maintain the size of the list.
7. Delivery Rate
This is also an important metric when comes to email marketing campaign. Some companies make a project of deliverability and take the help of the third party to deliver their emails. A terrible deliverability rate would be 80% or less than that. Anything over 95% would be considered to be excellent. Most of the first tier email service providers do deliver well above 95% of emails they send. Having a high deliverability rate is really important as this is the channel through which you can communicate with your potential customers. Follow these tips to obtain the high delivery rate – 12 Ways to Improve Email Deliverability
8. Earning per Click or Earning per Email
Generally, it has been observed this to be one of the very less discussed email marketing metrics but actually this is a very important one. It is vital to know how much income your marketing is generating for a profitable business. Refer to our previous blog post to optimize your email marketing budget.
9. Inbox Placement
This is quite similar to one of the previously mentioned email marketing metrics which is the deliverability rate. Basically, it measures whether your email has landed in the subscriber’s inbox or was sent to his/her bulk email. Inbox placement definitely matters and one of the best ways to improve it is to get your email open or click through rates up. Another way you can improve your inbox placement is by deleting the email addresses of anyone who hasn’t opened your email in last 6 or 12 months.
10. Forward Rate
This is considered to be a happy rate. The forward rate can be defined as the rate at which your email campaigns are forward by your subscribers when they find it to be worth sharing among their friends or family. It is sometimes called “referral rate.” Some companies call it to share when their emails are forwarded while other companies consider their social media shares too. Follow these hacks to increase your email forward rate – 5 Secrets To Getting Subscribers To Forward Your Emails
11. Email Reply Rate
Email reply rate might not be at the top of the metrics list, but in the recent times it is gradually gaining importance. If you want to know how much your emails have proved to be engaging for the subscribers, email reply rate will help with that. It allows a two-way interaction between the customer and the organization. Also, you might know what your customers expect or want from your company through their reply to your email. Follow the blog post to increase your email reply rate.
Email marketing metrics with EasySendy Pro
Apart from organizing hybrid email marketing campaigns; EasySendy Pro also helps with getting all email marketing metrics for all their customers. Given below are the points which proves why EasySendy Pro is the best email marketing software and will say where the exact places where Pro is helping with the metrics.
- Deliverability Rate: Pro helps their customers to see in the delivery campaign what the rate of deliverability is.
- Open Rate and Click-through-Rate: Pro also has the unique feature through which its subscribers can get firsthand information as to how much of their emails have been opened and clicked through. This information they can receive from the email campaign report page.
- Hard Bounce and Soft Bounce: Pro also helps with the rate of hard bounces and soft bounces metrics which their subscribers will know from the bounce report page.
- Spam Percentage: This feature is also there in EasySendy Pro. In the campaign report page, before sending an email, Pro helps in calculating the spam percentage of their subscriber’s email.
- Churn Rate: Pro helps you to calculate the churn rate of your business. For example, if you divide the difference between the old subscribers and the new subscribers by the original amount and multiply it with 100; you’ll get the churn rate. Also, there is a graph inside in list dashboard which will tell you every month how many subscriptions and unsubscriptions are taking place.
Email marketing metrics report helps you to determine if your emails are good, average or below average which might require some homework. Only through these metrics you’ll be able to know the health of your business and will be able to take necessary steps to grow your business further as per the situation demand.